Friday, August 14, 2009

Keeping In Shape While Cutting Children's Hair In The Bronx.

Cutting hair is a hard job. You have to stand all day long and move your body in some pretty strange positions. It is way more tiring than you can imagine. Yes, haircutting is a very physically demanding job!

Cutting children's hair is even harder. You have to sit on the floor and play WHILE you are cutting hair. You have to walk around following the child WHILE you are cutting hair, and you have to crawl around on your knees WHILE you are cutting hair. I reach, I bend, I stretch, and play with your children WHILE I am cutting their hair. Honestly, when they stay still I get a little mixed up!

Still, with all of this activity, I felt like I wasn't getting enough exercise, so I started walking to work most days which has become a 2 1/2 mile trek at this point. Through rain and snow and heat of summer, you can see me walking up and down the hills of Riverdale making my way to the thing I love most. Cutting children's hair.

But still, I felt like I wasn't getting enough exercise! I need to keep on my toes to work with your kids, so I started a new exercise regimen. I joined a program called Crossfit. I recommend it highly. The leader, Bill, is very good at what he does and knows how to get the best out of everyone who joins. No matter how much I dread going in to do the work, once it starts, and certainly by the time it is over, I feel great.

I just wanted to pass this on! In case you thought that cutting hair is what I do 24/7! Anyone who is interested, especially if you live in the Bronx or Manhattan, should check out Bill's website and try it out!

No comments: